Chocolate Cake and Blue Dress decoration
What a fantastic day I had yesterday. One of my lovely friend from work celebrated her birthday so I made a cake. An elegant cake to match her style 🙂 I first saw the decorating idea here and the recipe is somehow improvised. Chocolate cake is from here and the frosting is from my already published Devil’s food cake, just added some black coloring. The result was great, the cake was absolutely delicious and looked stunning.
Chocolate cake with a birthday dress frosting
- 1 3/4 cups (220 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (65g) cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups (350 g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (240 ml) freshly brewed strong hot coffee
Chocolate fudge frosting
- 1 ½ cups (300 g) sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 170 g unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 112 g unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon black food coloring
Birthday dress buttercream
- 300 g butter, room temperature
- 500 g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon blue food coloring
- Sitting girl silhouette cake topper
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease 3 x 20 cm diameter baking tins.
- Make the cake. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and espresso powder (if using) in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the oil, eggs and vanilla together on medium-high until combined. Add the buttermilk and mix again. Add in the dry ingredients, then the hot coffee and beat on low speed until completely combined. The batter should be thin.
- Divide the batter into three prepared tins. Bake until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make the chocolate fudge frosting. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, sugar and salt. Heat until dissolved, stirring occasionally. This takes about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add in the chocolate, butter and vanilla. Place the pot with the frosting into an ice bath and beat using an electric mixer until it is cool and thick. This also takes about 5 minutes. Add in the food coloring and mix well.
- Assemble the cake. Place one layer of cake, spread 1/4 of the frosting, top with the second cake layer, another 1/4 of frosting, add the third cake and the remaining frosting on top and the sides. Once the cake is fully covered, place it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to set.
- Make the blue dress buttercream. Combine the soft butter with the icing sugar and beat using an electric mixer for about 3 minutes. Add in vanilla and food coloring, beat again. Place the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with an open star tip and pipe the dress. Insert the sitting girl silhouette cake topper, pipe the dress on in.
- Store in the fridge but remove it an hour or so before serving. Enjoy!